About Me

This blog is a way for me to keep track of my New Year's Resolutions to buy one new food (and eat it eventually) every time I go to the grocery store! I hope to keep it interesting by researching facts about the foods that I buy and eat!I will also give reviews about the each food... I know this is ridiculous, but I think it might be fun :-)

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash has a variety of different names including "vegetable squash, noodle squash, and spaghetti marrow" etc. and it can also vary in terms of appearance (yellow, orange, or white). In the USA, I have only ever seen it be yellow.. but who knows!.

The reason that it is called spaghetti squash is that when you cook the squash the flesh/meat on the inside falls away into spaghetti like strands! SO COOL

I have seen chefs use this squash on TV all the time.. and I just have to try it for myself to see if it actually works.. and what it tastes like. It is often used as a low- carb substitute for pasta.

So I decided to give it a try.. still a bit skeptical that it would actually look like spaghetti! I cut it in half, baked it in the oven for 30+ minutes, and removed the halves. I then proceeded to scrape the inside with a fork and low and behold.. it came out just like short spaghetti noodles! The squash has a slight crunch to it, but was great alone.. or with some sauted peppers, onion, and some spaghetti sauce!

TRY THIS :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment